But the World Cup started, and I am currently with serious case of high football fever (although it is a pity I am not going on vacation until next Friday, and will have to miss some matches....).
That said, I have some observations about these first few days of the tournament:
- Matches have been disappointing in terms of quality and excitement, except for Germany today, who was amazing in destroying Australia 4-0. I have not rated Germany highly, and must admit I was very wrong.
- And the Black Stars from Ghana won a hard-fought victory against Serbia! The group may be exciting, but Germany must be the highest rated after their victory today!
- Mexico was arrogant and I was partly disappointed Bafana Bafana didn't win.
- Uruguay was a disappointment and France was better than we thought. The group is open, but the "traditional" nations have started well.
- Except England: I was expecting much more of England (perhaps as little as I was expecting from Germany), and notwithstanding Green's giveaway, they didn't look unbeatable.
- Argentina won a small victory that should have been larger. That said, they weren't impressive against a pathetic Nigerian side that gave too much space to the Argentineans, notably to Messi. Nobody else will give them such space, and then Argentina suddenly looks weak. Their true test will come against the bigger teams.
- Watch out for South Corea!